Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sad Weekend

Last night Jay and I experienced something incredibly sad but among many others, were so blessed because of it. Our dear friends Joe and Gretchen unexpectedly lost their baby at 8 months pregnant. Last night was the funeral. I've never been to a babies funeral, I've actually only been to 2 funerals in my life but this one was special. I think they would be proud to hear me call it a worship service though because after hearing their testimonies, thats what if felt like. It all happened on Monday when Gretch noticed that the baby wasn't moving so just to be safe she went to the Dr on Tuesday and thats when they found out that there was no heartbeat. They told her they could induce her or they could do a C-section and thats what she chose to do. They got to hold her for a while after that and they both described a peace that came over them and a "vision" of Jesus holding their baby girl. Her name was Grayson Strong and even though she never took a breath, she has had a powerful little life. Of course they are both deeply heartbroken but they have such strong faith and I am in awe of how they are getting through this. The service itself was so special. It was at the future site of their church and we all gathered around in the woods with nature all around and sang worship songs, it was so sweet and perfect. Joes brother spoke and then Joe spoke and also read a letter that Gretchen had written to Grayson. Everyone was crying but it was a different cry than you would expect, I think we were all just so proud of them for being so faithful. Their church pastor gave a wonderful message about making a choice of being bitter or better and gave a clear message on how to give your life to God if you hadn't taken that opportunity before. Afterwards they took her ashes which were in a tiny silver jar with a pink ribbon and scattered them around the site because their church family has meant so much to them. My heart is so heavy for them and I know it will be for a while but I am not longer worried for them because I know that they are still serving our God and just like we sang last night, How Great is Our God. Please commit to praying for them as they get through this. They also have a little girl named Isabel who was so looking forward to being a big sister. They're a precious family and I know that they need all of our prayers.

No comments: